Programme Officer – Protected Areas Management
|Expected start date:||01 November 2017|
|Type of contract:||Fixed-term (12 months with possibility of renewal)|
|Closing date:||16 October 2017|
The current position is to work with IUCN’s Regional Office for Western and Central Africa (PACO). It will be based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The post holder will provide support to regional institutions in charge of protected areas in the Western and Central African region under the supervision of the unit’s head. The provision of support to regional organisations in the area of protected area management through the regional Observatory for protected areas is funded through the IUCN regional program for protected areas and biodiversity from several donors. The post holder will contribute to developing synergies between concurrent projects in close coordination with other IUCN staff within the secretariat, other IUCN staff seconded within parent organisations as well as directly with partners in order to ensure effective implementation and monitoring of regional policies for protected areas. The post holder will ensure that IUCN’s tools and knowledge products are promoted and made available to partners and conservation actors. That regional partners can benefit from IUCN members’ capacity and from the contributions of the IUCN commissions. That the countries receive support in the implementation of the Rio agreements, towards the sustainable development goals Agenda 2030 and the Paris agreement.
The post holder will work under the direct supervision of the Coordinator for the Regional Programme for Protected Areas. She/He will also contribute to the management of the Regional Observatory for Protected Areas. As a PACO staff, the post holder will contribute actively to the implementation and development of the Regional Programme for Protected Areas, develop knowledge of the Union, and provide support to IUCN members and partners. The position entails regular interactions with peers from regional partners, national administrations, and regional organisations on complex issues. Occasional interactions with highest external contacts on complex and policy issues. Intensive international and regional travels. Responsibility over work planning, budget and expenses.
1. Project implementation: The post holder will be responsible for the execution of donors’ contracts under the guidance and supervision of the program manager. The tasks include :
- Ensure the implementation of projects in accordance with project documents, agreed work plans and IUCN procedures
- Oversee the implementation of BIOPAMA Observatory for protected areas
- Assist WEAMU and ECOWAS in the implementation and monitoring of their environmental policies in relation to protected areas and natural resources management
- Oversee an action fund dedicated to PAME data management through IMET and EoH on over 100 protected sites
- Produce common yearly workplans to provide support to WAEMU, ECOWAS, RAMPAO, ECOFAC and RAPAC in agreement with their needs
- Supervise studies, researches and analysis as required
- Coordinate the edition of the State of Protected Areas reports
- Reach out to economic actors outside the sector of environment and acquire their commitment in protected area valorisation
- Develop the program’s full M&E regional framework in coordination with BIOPAMA’s global coordination and the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC). Ensure the timely documentation of indicators. Ensure that all data pertaining to the program’s activities are collected and analysed at sufficient standard
- Coordinate the coordination of field support funded by the action funds
- Ensure that IUCN knowledge products and tools are provided to IUCN members and partners as needed, with the required support, in collaboration with IUCN PACO, global programs and commissions
- Ensure that the project and the program’s achievements are efficiently and timely communicated to partners and to the conservation community. That BIOPAMA beneficiary’s communication strategy are effectively executed with support and contribution from BIOPAMA and PACO
- Inform on a permanent basis the program coordinator and PACO management team of all development in the execution of the program
2. Represent effectively the IUCN and its partners:
- Assist with maintaining strong relationships with relevant IUCN partners, maintaining communications, efficient collaboration and a spirit of service to the project’s beneficiaries.
- Provide technical support to IUCN partners and project beneficiaries
3. Administrative and finance management:
- The post holder will ensure compliance with the donors’ and IUCN’s procedures.
- Conduct procurement process, interact with service providers, and monitor deliverables
- Liaise with PACO Finance Officers regarding compliance with donors’ contractual and financial requirements;
- Support the provision of financial reporting to donors by providing the finance department with the relevant project/programme information on a timely basis;
- Support the Technical Coordinator to regularly review, analyse and monitor the project financial reports and communicate any over/under expenditure observations to the Technical Coordinator on a timely basis;
- Coordinate the procurement process of project assets and ensure all processes are in line with the IUCN Internal Control systems and donor requirements.
4. Monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure that the project develops and effectively implements an M&E framework, in line IUCN guidelines and procedures as well as that required by the donor
- Ensure that all the information related to the implementation of projects is adequately filed, organized and updated for easy access;
- Identify and use lessons to inform future practice;
- Document and share lessons and experiences, as appropriate
|• Specific skills and experience required
Desired skills and experience
1. Extensive experience with protected area management systems, particularly management effectiveness.
General characteristics desired
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
About IUCN IUCN is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together. Created in 1948, IUCN is now the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network, harnessing the knowledge, resources and reach of 1,300 Member organisations and some 15,000 experts. It is a leading provider of conservation data, assessments and analysis. Its broad membership enables IUCN to fill the role of incubator and trusted repository of best practices, tools and international standards. IUCN provides a neutral space in which diverse stakeholders including governments, NGOs, scientists, businesses, local communities, indigenous peoples organisations and others can work together to forge and implement solutions to environmental challenges and achieve sustainable development. Working with many partners and supporters, IUCN implements a large and diverse portfolio of conservation projects worldwide. Combining the latest science with the traditional knowledge of local communities, these projects work to reverse habitat loss, restore ecosystems and improve people’s well-being. www.iucn.org https://twitter.com/IUCN
ARSIA - Responsable Opérationnel R&D (23-06-2017)
Responsable Opérationnel orienté « Recherche et Développement »
ARSIA recrute un/e Responsable...
Green Europe - Technico-commercial (23-06-2017)
Technico-commercial, laborantin chimiste H/F
La société Green Europe, spécialisée dans le...
GAL (Botte du Hainaut) - Coordinateur (23-06-2017)
Coordinateur/trice GAL Botte du Hainaut
Le Groupe d’Action Locale (GAL) de la Botte du Hainaut...
ASIT Biotech - 2 Junior Project Leader Development Operations (27-06-2017)
La Société ASIT Biotech est à la recherche "de jeunes talents motivés afin de relever les...
Peas & Love - Community Farmers (18-07-2017)
Peas & Love
Peas & Love propose des potagers urbains entretenus à Bruxelles et à Paris et...
République du Congo - Chef de projet (18-07-2017)
Chef de projet expatrié développement rural
THE ASPINALL FOUNDATION...