In view of the upcoming retirement of the current chair holder, the Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) seeks to appoint a Professor to lead and further develop the academic Unit of Entomology.
She or he will focus on fundamental and applied research on the ecology, biology, surveillance and control, including epidemic responsiveness, of arthropod vectors of human, zoonotic and emerging diseases, especially in tropical and resource-constrained environments and in relation to global environmental changes.
She or he will ensure and develop the post-graduate teaching and training in these fields at the ITM, provide expert assistance to national and international instances, contribute to capacity strengthening in endemic countries and take part in the departmental and institutional policy setting and management.
Her or his activities will be strongly embedded in interdepartmental and interdisciplinary collaboration within and outside the ITM. She or he will have access to existing technological platforms, internally funded staff support and extensive, institutionally funded networks in Latin America, Africa and Asia. The incumbent will be eligible to apply to a broad portfolio of competitive funding opportunities at national and international level.
- You have a PhD in biological or biomedical sciences, preferably in the field of entomology.
- You have a proven record of high-quality research in health-related entomology, both in the field and in the laboratory.
- You have substantial working experience in tropical and/or low- and middle-income countries; experience in or with international organisations is an asset.
- You have a strong academic track record, including successful grant writing, PhD training, leadership and communication, team management and international partnerships.
- You have successful experience in teaching and training in the field of entomology, vectors and vector-borne diseases, including ‘One Health’ concepts; skills and experience with digital teaching formats are assets.
- You are fluent in English, written and spoken. Active knowledge of French and Dutch is desirable; if not, willingness to acquire a working level of knowledge of both is requested. Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- Your primary assignment is to: undertake innovative research on the ecology of arthropods transmitting pathogens to humans and animals (vectors), aiming to better understand the transmission dynamics of these pathogens, and develop and validate innovative tools and strategies for the surveillance and control of vector-borne diseases, including epidemic responsiveness.
- Within your research group you will also promote innovative experimental research on the biology of vectors, aiming to better understand vector-pathogen interactions.
- You will work in close collaboration with other units working on vector-borne diseases at ITM.
- You will develop a robust research portfolio, based on a clear vision of the unit within the department, the ITM and the national and international environment, acquire substantial funding and build a strong international reputation and visibility.
- You will take responsibility for the teaching and training modules as well as courses in ento-mology and vector-borne diseases at the postgraduate, MSc and PhD level.
- You will provide expert advice to national and international instances and stakeholders in the field of entomology and vector-borne diseases.
- You will contribute to the international collaboration and capacity strengthening pro-grammes of the ITM.
- You will lead the unit and its staff, and exert line management duties with regard to staff safety, well-being and development as well as to quality care and assurance.
- As a senior staff member, you will contribute to the departmental and institutional policy development.
- A stimulating, international and committed working environment in Antwerp, a historical but thriving city.
- A fulltime tenure appointment in the initial rank of associate or (full) professor, depending on your qualifications.
- Core support in terms of research staff, facilities and international collaboration.
- A salary package depending on your profile and professional experience, including supplementary benefits such as additional private pension scheme, public transport subscription and/or bicycle fee, meal vouchers subscription.
For more information about this position, please contact Prof. Jean-Claude Dujardin (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Applications with application form and motivation letter should reach us before March 1st 2018.
ARSIA - Responsable Opérationnel R&D (23-06-2017)
Responsable Opérationnel orienté « Recherche et Développement »
ARSIA recrute un/e Responsable...
Green Europe - Technico-commercial (23-06-2017)
Technico-commercial, laborantin chimiste H/F
La société Green Europe, spécialisée dans le...
GAL (Botte du Hainaut) - Coordinateur (23-06-2017)
Coordinateur/trice GAL Botte du Hainaut
Le Groupe d’Action Locale (GAL) de la Botte du Hainaut...
ASIT Biotech - 2 Junior Project Leader Development Operations (27-06-2017)
La Société ASIT Biotech est à la recherche "de jeunes talents motivés afin de relever les...
Peas & Love - Community Farmers (18-07-2017)
Peas & Love
Peas & Love propose des potagers urbains entretenus à Bruxelles et à Paris et...
République du Congo - Chef de projet (18-07-2017)
Chef de projet expatrié développement rural
THE ASPINALL FOUNDATION...