Expert in ecotourism development and bonobo conservation
WWF-DRC is looking for an Expert to manage the bonobo conservation project and to develop Ecotourism to help achieve its new ambitious goals and build a future where people live in harmony with nature.
Malebo, Mai Ndombe Province in Democratic of Republic of Congo.
Duration of the assignment: 1 year subject to successful probation renewable subsequently
Oversee all project activities related to the conservation of bonobos and the development of ecotourism in the territory of Bolobo (Province of Mai Ndombé). This includes, among other things, working with the local communities, especially women, in the development of ecotourism activities, the supervision of a team of villagers (trackers) responsible for the habituation of bonobos and monitoring of bonobo populations.
- Implement the planned activities for the development of ecotourism and conservation of the western bonobos, and guarantee their effective execution within the framework of the project and the conservation principles of WWF;
- Ensure efficient planning and budgeting of activities, in order to guarantee the availability of funds following the internal procedures, good logistical organization, good management of the infrastructure and materials... in difficult and isolated conditions;
- Supervise the teams of trackers from the local communities, organize their work efficiently and in accordance with Congolese law and the rules of the WWF;
- Prepare and submit to the programme manager the biannual and annual technical reports as well as the evaluations;
- Coordinate and follow activities with partners and local actors. Participate in their capacity building if necessary;
Within the framework of the project’s ecotourism component, the expert will:
- Develop an ecotourism strategy using the business plan already produced, in collaboration with different partners already identified;
- Develop an education and awareness programme for local actors in ecotourism and environmental
- Develop tourism training for local community members
- Implement and promote a pilot ecotourism phase based on the observation of the 2 groups of habituated bonobos. Prepare for the arrival of visitors and host them during their stay;
- Oversee the training of local women with a view to their participation in the development of the Ecotourism project;
- Assist with the signing of agreements between communities, private operators and WWF to set up this programme;
As part of the Western Bonobo Conservation Project, the expert will also ensure:
- Supervision of the habituation of two groups of bonobos around Malebo, their health monitoring as part of the "Africa Great Apes Programme" (AfGAP) of the WWF and similar to that of Dzanga-Sanga (WCS Field Vet Programme);
- Monitoring and implementation of the scientific research programme on bonobos, and following scientific methodologies; the recommendations of the veterinary consultant for the health monitoring of bonobos are followed;
- Coordination and strengthening of anti-poaching activities around Malebo;
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- Holds a Master's degree in development, science, management, social sciences or other relevant university degree or experience. A specialization in primatology is a strong plus;
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management;
- Experience in the development or management of an ecotourism project;
- Experience in a project related to Primatology, primate research, great apes habituation (especially chimpanzees and bonobos, possibly gorillas and orangutans) strongly desired;
- Good technical, logistical and financial management of projects, strong team leadership with an excellent sense of organization and hospitality;
- Competence in bio-monitoring is an asset;
- Proven experience in capacity building of partners;
- Experience in coaching a technical and/or scientific team;
- Good negotiating and communication skills and ability to plan in advance;
- Experience of carrying out field work under difficult conditions;
- Ability to live in isolated conditions (a position that is not compatible with a family life);
- Experience of results-based management;
- Capacity for scientific analysis;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French and English are essential(several reports for English-speaking funders)
- Experience working with women and knowledge of local languages are a plus.
- Adherence to WWF’s values, which are: knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
How to apply?
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements are invited to send:
- A cover letter
- A detailed CV with 3 references
All applications should be sent to email@example.com. The subject should read Expert
Deadline for applications: 21 April 2018
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.
ARSIA - Responsable Opérationnel R&D (23-06-2017)
Responsable Opérationnel orienté « Recherche et Développement »
ARSIA recrute un/e Responsable...
Green Europe - Technico-commercial (23-06-2017)
Technico-commercial, laborantin chimiste H/F
La société Green Europe, spécialisée dans le...
GAL (Botte du Hainaut) - Coordinateur (23-06-2017)
Coordinateur/trice GAL Botte du Hainaut
Le Groupe d’Action Locale (GAL) de la Botte du Hainaut...
ASIT Biotech - 2 Junior Project Leader Development Operations (27-06-2017)
La Société ASIT Biotech est à la recherche "de jeunes talents motivés afin de relever les...
Peas & Love - Community Farmers (18-07-2017)
Peas & Love
Peas & Love propose des potagers urbains entretenus à Bruxelles et à Paris et...
République du Congo - Chef de projet (18-07-2017)
Chef de projet expatrié développement rural
THE ASPINALL FOUNDATION...