Country Director, WWF- DRC
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is one of the largest independent conservation organizations in the world, active in almost 100 countries. It has been working in the Congo Basin and in Central Africa for more than 20 years. Our mission is to stop the environmental degradation in the world and build a future where humans live in harmony with nature.
Our conservation programme in DRC is the largest in Africa and includes field programmes in Lake Tumba Landscape, in and around Salonga NP as well as in North and South Kivu. This field programme is complemented by thematic programmes ranging from Sustainable Forest Management and Climate Change, species conservation and fight against illegal wildlife trade, energy and infrastructure, and governance.
For our country operation in DRC, we are looking for a dynamic and committed Country Director, with knowledge and experience of the region, to develop and lead WWF-DRC Country Office so that it is highly influential; is able to shape the sustainability agenda of DRC domestically and globally to deliver on WWF’s global priorities; and plays a leadership role within the WWF Network. To ensure a high performing WWF DRC Country Office with efficient operating systems, professional and skilled staff, and strong financial resources, delivering conservation impact on issues and in places that are key for WWF’s Network Initiatives and other global conservation priorities. The Country Director will join a multi-cultural team and in particular a Senior Management Team comprising of a Finance Manager, a Head of Conservation, a Communication Manager, a Fund-raising Manager and a senior Human Resource Manager.
Provides effective leadership and line management in all key areas - Conservation, Finance and Administration, People & Organizational Development, Partnership Development, Fundraising, Advocacy, and Communications – fulfilling WWF Africa Office’s vision and delivering on the targets set for its DRC Strategic Plan;
Provides thought leadership on all key issues at the highest organisational level and manages key partnerships in and outside DRC to ensure optimal communication and mutually beneficial relationships;
Leads on the effective implementation of WWF DRC’s country strategy;
Establishes strong partnerships for WWF in DRC and effectively represents the organization towards internal and external stakeholders;
Establishes and implements effective internal organizational / management structures and ensures that the related policies and processes are in place and properly implemented;
Ensures that WWF DRC’s legal and reporting requirements are met and that WWFs policies, procedures, standards and Code of Ethics are being adhered to;
Contributes to the Africa leadership Team and the efficient management of WWF in its Africa Region.
What you need
- Minimum Master’s degree in an environmental/conservation field. Additional academic degree and training on Business Management, International Relations/ Development, or other related fields in would be a strong asset;
- At least 10 years professional experience in a leadership role, 3-5 years of which ideally would be in the Central Africa region.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Proven track record in successfully developing, leading, and managing large-scale programmes and/or institutions in the field of conservation, natural resource management, international development, and/or other related fields;
- Demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary and multi–cultural teams;
- Knowledge of the institutional, legal and policy framework in DRC and Central Africa;
- Fluency in French and English; knowledge of Lingala and Kiswahili is an added advantage;
- Excellent leadership abilities and capacity to manage human and financial resources, with experience in leading change and driving the vision of the organization;
- Decision making skills with strong business acumen and drive for results;
- High level negotiation and influencing skills, and the capacity to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels in the business, not-for-profit, scientific and political communities;
- Track record of building organizational talent by nurturing performance culture and encouraging empowerment and delegation;
- Strong diplomatic and communication skills, including an ability to work and communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of individuals (individual donors, business leaders, public figures, WWF staff), within a broad range of cultural environments;
- Excellent team management and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated fundraising skills, and experience working with donors;
- Must be committed to equal opportunity employment policies and WWFs code of ethics;
Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
Please consult the attached job description for more information on the position.
How to apply?
Email a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject should read CD-DRC. Deadline for applications: July 10, 2018. Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for follow up. If you have not been contacted six weeks after closing, consider your application unsuccessful.
Female and African nationals applicants are encouraged.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce
ARSIA - Responsable Opérationnel R&D (23-06-2017)
Responsable Opérationnel orienté « Recherche et Développement »
ARSIA recrute un/e Responsable...
Green Europe - Technico-commercial (23-06-2017)
Technico-commercial, laborantin chimiste H/F
La société Green Europe, spécialisée dans le...
GAL (Botte du Hainaut) - Coordinateur (23-06-2017)
Coordinateur/trice GAL Botte du Hainaut
Le Groupe d’Action Locale (GAL) de la Botte du Hainaut...
ASIT Biotech - 2 Junior Project Leader Development Operations (27-06-2017)
La Société ASIT Biotech est à la recherche "de jeunes talents motivés afin de relever les...
Peas & Love - Community Farmers (18-07-2017)
Peas & Love
Peas & Love propose des potagers urbains entretenus à Bruxelles et à Paris et...
République du Congo - Chef de projet (18-07-2017)
Chef de projet expatrié développement rural
THE ASPINALL FOUNDATION...