EU Grants Manager Chad
Reporting to: Institutional Funding Manager (w/ dotted line to Country Director)
Start date: As soon as possible
Duration: 2 years
Location: N’djamena, Chad
African Parks is a non-profit organization that takes total responsibility for the rehabilitation and long-term management of national parks in partnership with governments and local communities. African Parks, through affiliated local boards, has management responsibility for a network of Protected Areas in Chad. Zakouma National Park Management by African Parks started in 2010. Following the results on the ground and the success of the partnership in Zakouma NP, the Government of Chad expanded African Parks’ management agreement in 2017 to incorporate the Greater Zakouma Ecosystem which consists of Zakouma NP, Siniaka Minia and Bahr-Salamat Wildlife Reserves, and the important wildlife corridors that link all three protected areas. Ennedi Natural and Cultural Reserve area, a World Heritage Site declared by UNESCO in 2016, formally came under the long-term management of African Parks in partnership with the Government of the Republic of Chad in February 2018. The Aouk project, in the South-east of Chad, is a completely new conservation project, focused on information systems and analysis to better understand the migratory movements and regional dynamics of the actors engaging in illegal activities that impact Protected Areas, wildlife and habitats in the trans-border area of Chad - CAR - Sudan.
African Parks has been awarded significant institutional grants funded by the European Union (EU) in the Great Zakouma, Ennedi and Aouk in Chad. Three grants are active in the 3 protected areas up to 2022 for more than 17 million Euros. Additional proposals are in development and more funding are expected from EU (under a potential 12th EDF) to continue providing support to the rehabilitation of key protected areas in Chad. In order to ensure compliance, avoid financial clawbacks or reputational risk, African Parks invests more on robust grants management practices and tools to embed our grants management SOPs in day to day practice.
The organisation keeps investing in grants management capacity to help bring together the full team inputs and ensure both compliance with donor requirements (grants manager) and relevance and alignment with overall park plans (project lead). For EU funded projects in Chad, African Parks is looking for a dynamic Grants Manager with solid experience in project and/or grant management and coordination. The position will serve as an internal focal point for the active projects funded by European Union in Ennedi, Greater Zakouma and Aouk and for prospective grants in the pipeline. The position will also support a strong team implementing the grants, while providing robust compliance and reporting and maintaining a positive relationship with the European Union.
- Grant implementation and compliance
- Ensure a common understanding of the project deliverables and requirements among stakeholders
- Coordinate the project annual planning and grant budgeting process
- Support the development of detailed project workplan and planning to harmonize grant deliverables with park business plans.
- Ensure due diligence recommendations are addressed
- Work with regional financial manager and park finance officers to monitoring budget burn rates and monthly financial reports and forecasts
- Ensure all grant reports are completed, compliant and submitted on schedule and to the standards required
- Support the development of guidelines on EU grants management, training tools and start up workshops to ensure compliance, transparency and accountability
- Prepare and review all grant agreements and contracts, including modifications, sub awards, consultancies and service agreements, while ensuring compliance to EU and APN policies.
- Organize and support any evaluation of the project as required by EU (Midterm, close out, etc.)
- Work closely with the regional manager, provide necessary guidance and capacity where needed, raising concerns and recommendations to minimize risk and maximize positive reputation with EU and other external stakeholders.
- Support the regional manager to maintain and develop close relationships with EU portfolio managers and EU head of projects, while contributing to the global EU fundraising strategy of APN
- Monitoring and evaluation (M&E)
- Support the set-up of the projects’ M&E frameworks
- Assist in the preparation, updating, monitoring of project work plans and reports in liaison with key annual work plans and budgets
- Liaise with partners and parks on data collection, management, dissemination and use
- Work closely with the data collection systems in place in Chad to facilitate the automation and smooth transition of data from input to M&E
- Engagement and program development
- Support in country engagement with EU, working closely with regional manager.
- Help prepare for donors’ events, visit or meetings regarding the project, including high level delegation visits to the parks.
- Participate in African Parks’ institutional team and liaise with the global EU account manager to encourage consistency across all EU Grants implemented across AP portfolio.
- Assist in developing a long-term engagement with the EU in Chad, including identifying and developing opportunities to expand EU support to AP
- Assist in the effort to fulfill co-funding requirements
- Ensure that all visibility requirements are fulfilled
- Assist regional manager in coordination efforts with partner organizations engaged by AP involving EU institutional donor funding
CAPABILITIES, COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCES REQUIRED:
- Advanced degree in international relations, conservation, project management, development or other relevant field
- 5-10 years of professional experience in grants management (proposal writing, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting)
- Solid knowledge of institutional donors and European Union procedures is required
- Field experience in conservation and/or community development issues in rural areas
- Passion for biodiversity conservation
- Advanced knowledge and experience of project cycle management, including using project planning and management tools
- Proven ability to communicate, negotiate and work with high level executives, public institutional funders and government officials
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and successfully interact with people with respect, tact, and with a strong team spirit
- Strong writing and communications in French and English is required
- AP EU Account Manager and Special Envoy
- Institutional Funding Manager
- APN Francophone Special Envoy
- Regional Financial Manager and Park Financial Controllers
- Park based Project Managers and Special Projects Managers
- Similar roles within African Parks across the region
- Partner organizations of African Parks across the region
- AP Head Office Fundraising team
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- The European Union and African Parks are more than satisfied with the grant
management and implementation of its grants in Chad and keen to extend relationship with additional grants. African Parks is compliant with all necessary procedures and audits and is fulfilling requirements and obligations both internally and externally.
- Good and effective team coordination across functions and offices.
About African Parks:
African Parks is a non-profit conservation organisation that takes on the complete responsibility for the rehabilitation and long-term management of national parks in partnership with governments and local communities. We currently manage 17 national parks and protected areas in 11 countries across Africa covering 11 million hectares: Angola, Benin, Central African Republic, Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, the Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Zambia and Zimbabwe
Founded in 2000 in response to the dramatic decline of protected areas due to poor management and lack of funding, African Parks utilizes a clear business approach to conserving Africa’s wildlife and remaining wild areas, securing vast landscapes and carrying out the necessary activities needed to protect the parks and their wildlife. African Parks maintains a strong focus on economic development and poverty alleviation of surrounding communities to ensure that each park is ecologically, socially, and financially sustainable in the long-term.
If interested, please submit applications to HRadmin@africanparks.org by March 15, 2020.
ARSIA - Responsable Opérationnel R&D (23-06-2017)
Responsable Opérationnel orienté « Recherche et Développement »
ARSIA recrute un/e Responsable...
Green Europe - Technico-commercial (23-06-2017)
Technico-commercial, laborantin chimiste H/F
La société Green Europe, spécialisée dans le...
GAL (Botte du Hainaut) - Coordinateur (23-06-2017)
Coordinateur/trice GAL Botte du Hainaut
Le Groupe d’Action Locale (GAL) de la Botte du Hainaut...
ASIT Biotech - 2 Junior Project Leader Development Operations (27-06-2017)
La Société ASIT Biotech est à la recherche "de jeunes talents motivés afin de relever les...
Peas & Love - Community Farmers (18-07-2017)
Peas & Love
Peas & Love propose des potagers urbains entretenus à Bruxelles et à Paris et...
République du Congo - Chef de projet (18-07-2017)
Chef de projet expatrié développement rural
THE ASPINALL FOUNDATION...