Researcher on genetics and breeding of crop
Future organization (department / unit)
CIRAD, the French Agricultural Research Centre for International Development, works with its partners in southern countries to generate and pass on new knowledge to support agricultural development and innovation.
It has one main objective: to build sustainable farming systems for tropical and Mediterranean regions capable of feeding ten billion human beings by 2050 while preserving the environment.
Reference : P-BIOS-AGAP-2020-02-CDI-3529
REASERCHER ON GENETICS AND BREEDING OF POLYPLOID AND VEGETATIVELY PROPAGATED CROPS F/H
Begining date : 01/09/2020
The plant breeder candidate with strong skills on quantitative genetics will have in charge of optimizing breeding and selection methods while adapting them to the constraints of Root and Tuber crops (predominantly vegetatively propagated, with high rate of sterility and mix of ploidy levels). The candidate will work in close collaboration with plant breeders, agronomists and molecular biologists of Genome and Selection team and, more broadly, with researchers of AGAP UMR (Genetic Improvement and Adaptation of Mediterranean and Tropical Crops Unit). The candidate will mainly be responsible for:
- Identification of phenotypic traits related to adaptation to biological and environmental constraints,
- Deciphering the genetic determinism of traits of interest,
- Combining theory and simulation of phenotypic and omics data to develop new prediction and multi-criteria selection approaches,
- Contribution to the implementation of field experiments and data analysis (phenotypic and omics data),
- Publication of results in international journals,
- Contribution to the development and management of national and international projects.
France – Montpellier for a short period of few months and then based in Guadeloupe (station Roujol). Later, the candidate will be based in other regions in the South, mainly in Africa.
- Ph.D. degree in quantitative genetics and/or plant breeding
- Post-doctoral experience would be appreciated
- Diploma in agricultural engineering is a plus
- Ability to build up collaborations with partners from development and research sectors.
- Fluency in French, which is the team working language, and in English (written and spoken).
- Proven capacity for scientific writing
- Strong motivation to work with collaborators within a team and across disciplines.
- Aptitude and willingness to work in developing countries (experience in developing countries is a plus).
- Strong motivation to work overseas in isolated environments
- Work in tropical/humid/subtropical areas
- Work at computer for more than 4 hours a day
- Frequent travels to France and abroad
- Activities in isolated environments
- Socio-professional category : Managers
Job location : France
Location : Montpellier. Guadeloupe. Afrique
Hiring Manager email : firstname.lastname@example.org
ARSIA - Responsable Opérationnel R&D (23-06-2017)
Responsable Opérationnel orienté « Recherche et Développement »
ARSIA recrute un/e Responsable...
Green Europe - Technico-commercial (23-06-2017)
Technico-commercial, laborantin chimiste H/F
La société Green Europe, spécialisée dans le...
GAL (Botte du Hainaut) - Coordinateur (23-06-2017)
Coordinateur/trice GAL Botte du Hainaut
Le Groupe d’Action Locale (GAL) de la Botte du Hainaut...
ASIT Biotech - 2 Junior Project Leader Development Operations (27-06-2017)
La Société ASIT Biotech est à la recherche "de jeunes talents motivés afin de relever les...
Peas & Love - Community Farmers (18-07-2017)
Peas & Love
Peas & Love propose des potagers urbains entretenus à Bruxelles et à Paris et...
République du Congo - Chef de projet (18-07-2017)
Chef de projet expatrié développement rural
THE ASPINALL FOUNDATION...