Remote sensing researcher position
In the framework of several projects supported mainly by the European Space Agency and the European Commission, the Research Laboratory in Environmetrics and Geomatics of the Earth and Life Institute, Université catholique de Louvain, seeks a qualified and highly motivated candidate to join its research team for
Mapping and validating land cover and forest types by airborne and satellite remote sensing from local to global scale (12 months with potential extension)
The successful applicant will join a motivated team of young researchers in satellite remote sensing and will be in charge of methodological research, reference data collection and analysis to calibrate and validate different land cover mapping products using optical Copernicus Sentinel data as well as airborne surveys.
In close collaboration with the existing project teams and our European partners, the new researcher will contribute to various activities linked to the two below-cited European projects and some specific applications in Wallonia, such as
- calibrating and validating the forthcoming tropical forest types maps based on Sentinel-2 data (10 countries) to cover the whole Congo Basin in the framework of the Observatoire des Forêts d’Afrique centrale;
- supporting the training and capacity building activities for the national experts linked to the Observatoire des Forêts d’Afrique centrale and demonstrating map production using open-source tools on cloud computing infrastructure;
- collecting ground reference information combining different sources of information for the validation of regional high resolution land cover maps and global land cover change maps;
- producing the tree canopy layer in urban areas (Wallonia) to be consolidated from existing GIS datasets and existing airborne survey.
“ESA Climate Change Initiative Land cover (medium and high resolution)” project (https://climate.esa.int/en/projects/land-cover/): aims at providing the climate modelling community with the most consistent time series of annual global land cover maps derived from various satellites mission, including the brand-new Sentinel-3.
“European RIOFAC project”: aims at supporting remote sensing R&D activities for the Observatoire des Forêts d’Afrique centrale (https://www.observatoire-comifac.net/) and currently in charge of the “State of the Forests 2021” report about the Congo Basin forests
The applicant will be:
- graduated in bioengineering, geography or equivalent;
- trained in remote sensing and geomatics with good IT skills;
- fluent in French and English;
- motivated for applied research;
- able to actively contribute to an international collaborative work;
Additional experiences in forest mapping, field trips around the world, land cover mapping, advanced satellite image processing and Python and/or R programming are most welcomed.
For any complementary information, please contact Mme Brigitte Bedoret (+ 32 (0) 10 47 30 65) (Brigitte.Bedoret@uclouvain.be). The contract can start as early as the 7th January 2021.The interested candidates are invited to send as soon as possible a curriculum vitae and a motivation letter by email (Brigitte.Bedoret@uclouvain.be and Pierre.Defourny@uclouvain.be ) and not later than the 10 January 2021 to
Pr. P. Defourny
Croix du Sud, 2 bte L5.07.16
ARSIA - Responsable Opérationnel R&D (23-06-2017)
Responsable Opérationnel orienté « Recherche et Développement »
ARSIA recrute un/e Responsable...
Green Europe - Technico-commercial (23-06-2017)
Technico-commercial, laborantin chimiste H/F
La société Green Europe, spécialisée dans le...
GAL (Botte du Hainaut) - Coordinateur (23-06-2017)
Coordinateur/trice GAL Botte du Hainaut
Le Groupe d’Action Locale (GAL) de la Botte du Hainaut...
ASIT Biotech - 2 Junior Project Leader Development Operations (27-06-2017)
La Société ASIT Biotech est à la recherche "de jeunes talents motivés afin de relever les...
Peas & Love - Community Farmers (18-07-2017)
Peas & Love
Peas & Love propose des potagers urbains entretenus à Bruxelles et à Paris et...
République du Congo - Chef de projet (18-07-2017)
Chef de projet expatrié développement rural
THE ASPINALL FOUNDATION...